What is a Post-Workout Glow
Ever wondered why your skin looks firmer and clearer after a workout? It’s like the sweat is giving you a natural highlighter and the flush from a workout is giving you a rosy blush. But is the post-workout glow real? According to some experts… it is.
The post-workout glow may last for up to 12 hours after a sweaty workout. Working out increases blood circulation in the body which can be helpful in achieving glowing skin. Not only does it help firm the skin, but it also reduces cortisol (the stress hormone that increases glucose in the body) which can cause stress-related breakouts. Working out also helps flush out toxins in the body, stimulates new skin cells, and aids in collagen production which is why you are seeing a youthful glow after a workout.
Get the Glow Right at Home
#1. 15-Minute Pilates Workout at Home
Pilates can help improve blood circulation and tone the skin for a radiant glow. This easy and quick full-body workout by @briannajoye_fitness will make you sweat those fats and toxins away! Keep your skin firm by trying her routine in the video below:
@briannajoye_fitness DAY 1 of my 2 week pilates challenge! Will be posting the workout everyday. comment if your going to follow along :) #fyp #pilates ♬ Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
#2. Skin Firming Cardio Day
Cardio exercises can make your heart pump faster and can give your skin an anti-aging boost! During cardio workouts, your arteries distribute oxygen-rich blood and nutrients that help repair damaged skin. This may also aid in the production of collagen in your body to give you a youthful and supple glow.
What are some cardio workouts?
- Running or Jogging
- Jumping jacks or using a jump rope
- Squat jumps
- Walking uphill on a treadmill
Want a full cardio routine you can do at home? Check out this 15-minute beginner Cardio Workout from Youtuber MadFit (best part about this routine is you don’t need any exercise equipment!):
#3. Younger Looking Skin with Yoga
Detoxify your body and mind with yoga every day. Yoga exercises can help remove blocked lymph nodes and rejuvenate the skin by removing toxins in the body. Yoga asanas and meditations can help increase blood stimulation and aid in the creation of new healthy skin cells.
Try this 10-minute morning yoga routine from Adriene to start your day feeling light and glowing!
You might also want to dedicate a few minutes to practice face yoga to tighten sagging skin and prevent lines and wrinkles! Check out these 3 Simple Asanas tutorial from Youtuber Fit Tak:
CC: Fit Tak
Tips for Maintaining that Glow for Days
Heading to the gym? Check out these Do’s and Don’ts to achieve a post-workout glow!
- Use a facial cleanser after a workout. Breakouts are less likely to happen if you wash away the dirt, oil, and sweat you accumulated during your workout.
- Your skin can absorb products better post-workout so remember to moisturize your skin and lips.
- Your body loses fluids during a sweaty workout, hydrating can replace lost fluids and flush out toxins in your skin.
- Take a shower after a workout and change into clean clothes to prevent acne or bacteria-causing odor on your skin and hair.
- Tie your hair to prevent it from getting sticky.
- If you can’t take a shower immediately, use dry shampoo to mask the odor and sweat.
- Wear makeup while working out.
- Touch your face in between touching gym equipment.
- Don’t rub your face with your sweaty clothes. Use a clean, soft towel to wipe sweat from your face.
Want to get more out of your workout? Try our recommended workout supplements!
Havasu Nutrition L-arginine with Nitric Oxide
Premium Fat Burner for Women by Nobi Nutrition
EVL PumpMode Nitric Oxide Pre-Workout Powder Supplement
Post-Exercise “Glow” May Last 12 Hours. (2009, June). MedicineNet; MedicineNet. https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=100806