Finding the best moisturizer for your skin can be quite intimidating. There are a plethora of skincare products to choose from. It is hard to pick out the best by simply looking at them.
So, how do you find the best moisturizer for your skin type? Here are a few quick tips from the experts.
Knowing Your Skin Type
This is always the first step when going out to find the best moisturizer for your skin. Certain skincare products are made for specific skin types. You will never be able to find the right product if you do not know your skin type.
How are you going to determine your skin type? A dermatologist in Toronto suggested that you observe the feeling on your skin after washing. These feelings will tell you what type of skin you have.
- Oily Skin - It is easy to detect oily skin. You will obviously feel the oiliness on your skin within an hour or two. You might not even need to use a moisturizer at all.
- Dry Skin - This is the opposite of oily skin. It is the skin type that definitely needs moisturizers. You will feel tightness on your skin.
- Combination Skin - This skin type can be quite confusing. Some areas of your skin are oily while others dry. It is a combination of both skin types.
- Normal Skin - If you do not experience any of the first three sensations on your skin, then chances are you have a normal skin type. It basically means there is a balance of oil and moisture on your skin.
- Sensitive Skin - It is difficult to tell if you have sensitive skin. You will need to observe your skin's reaction to certain skincare products. Experts say tropical products and UV rays are factors that affect sensitive skin.
- Acne-prone Skin - If you have oily skin, then you also have greater chances of having acne-prone skin. But you don't have to worry because acne is not caused by a harmful diet, poor hygiene and the like. Experts say that acne is caused by hormonal imbalance which you might have inherited from your parents.
So, basically, there are three main skin types to consider when looking for the best moisturizer for your skin: oily, dry, or combination skin. Knowing which of these types your skin falls into will help you pick out the right skincare product.
Choosing the Right Product
After having determined your skin type, you may now pick out the best moisturizer from your favorite cosmetic store. However, there are also different types of moisturizing products to choose from. How do you pick the right one for you?
Here are a few tips:
- Use thicker creams or ointments for dry skin.
- Water-based moisturizers are good for oily skin.
- Use different moisturizers for your face and body.
- Hydrating moisturizers are good for the summer.
- Ensure sun protection with at least SPF 30 on your face.
- Avoid products with too many perfumes and coloring.
- Be careful when using salicylic acid to treat acne.
- Choose products with natural ingredients and antioxidants.
These are just a few helpful tips to consider when choosing the best moisturizer for your skin type. Seeking expert advice to treat skin conditions is still highly recommended.
Choosing the Right Moisturizer for Your Skin
How to Determine Your Skin Type, According to Skin Care Experts
The Basics of Acne